LAVENDER LEMON SCONES
· 2 cups flour
· 1/2 cup Sugar
· 1 Tbsp. Culinary Lavender Buds
· 1 tsp baking powder
· ½ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp baking soda
· ½ cup frozen unsalted butter (grated)
· ½ cup sour cream
· 1 Tbsp. Lemon Extract
· 1 large egg
Lemon Lavender Glaze
· 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
· 1 tsp lemon extract
· Yellow food coloring (optional)
· Add water to desired consistency
1. Preheat oven to 400*F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup of sugar with 1 Tbsp. of culinary lavender. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, mix flour, lavender sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter then stir into dry mix and add to a food processor and process until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
4. Pour mix into bowl and add in the sour cream, lemon extract, and egg. Mix until dough pulls from the side of the bowl and there are no crumbs on the bottom. Dough will be somewhat firm and sticky, but still manageable.
5. Place dough on a lightly floured countertop and use your hands to shape the dough into a circle that's about 1-inch thick.
6. Once you've got the dough in a decent circular shape, use a pizza cutter or knife to cut the circle into 8 pieces.
7. Place scone wedges onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and space scones at least 2 inches apart.
8. Bake at 400* until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool on a cooling rack.
9. To make glaze, mix glaze ingredients together. Drizzle over cooled scones.
10. Add in the fresh blackberries. Now some of the berries will burst and the dough will turn a bit purple- this is okay! Stir gently until most of the berries are incorporated. Flour a counter top and use your hands to shape the dough into a circle that's about 1" thick. If some of the berries escape just squish them back in- it's a very technical process. 😉 Your hands will get purple and messy- just dig deep and let your inner child enjoy this part!
· Once you've got the dough in a decent circular shape, use a pizza cutter to cut the circle in half through the center, then again on the opposite side. Make 2 more cuts across the circle diagonally. You should have made 4 cuts and have 8 pieces.
· Place each piece on a greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with the remaining 2 TBSP sugar, if desired.
· Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes in a 400 degree F oven. Cool for 5 minutes.
· To make vanilla glaze, whisk ingredients together and drizzle over warm scones.
Submitted by | Amber N. Folmar | Rogue Sconery | 2023